The Arke

The Misinterpretation of Feminism

Lauren Hatfield, Journalist

Today with only 23% of women and 16% of men claiming the title feminist, one can only assume that the word feminism has in today’s time equated to that of something negative and hateful when this is all but the case. The definition of feminism straight from the Merriam-Webster Dictionary is, the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities”. This is strange considering 82% of Americans claim they believe in the equal rights and opportunities of both genders, yet the majority does not consider themselves to be feminists.

The word feminism has recently been associated with the ideas of a prejudiced man hating or even female supremacy. If that were not the case, the near 82 percent of people that claim they believe in gender equality would also claim the title of feminist. Many celebrities have gone as far to say they do not consider themselves feminists, however they do believe in equality. In fact many celebrities such as Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, Shailene Woodley etcetera, all claim that the word “feminism” is too strong of a title and that there “shouldn’t be labels”.

When people are on such a large platform and they outright dissociate themselves from feminism, people are going to follow in their footsteps. For example, citing from womenagainstfeminism.com: “I don’t need feminism because I respect all humans not just one gender….I don’t need feminism because I am not a victim” and ,“I don’t need feminism because I believe in equality not entitlements and supremacy.” Coming directly from the definition, it seems that many women have taken the extremist “feminists” presented in the media and have made it into their truth of feminism.

Calling oneself a feminist does not mean disrespecting someone because of their gender,  it does not mean that one cannot recognize the accomplishments of men, it does not necessarily mean one is a victim, it does not mean in the belief of “entitlements and supremacy” of a certain gender, it does not entail the belief all women everywhere are oppressed, and it most certainly does not mean one is “about things as guys vs girls” in the wise words of Taylor Swift.

Feminism is about the equality of the genders not the oppressing of the other. These so called “anti-feminists” have clearly confused the truth of feminism with a clear misinterpretation of the truth. If society were to present feminism for what it is supposed to be and not the horrible injustice that it has been deemed to be, all people who believe in equality would stand proudly and call themselves feminists.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/feminism

http://womenagainstfeminism.com/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/17/feminist-celebrities_n_4460416.html

1 Comment

One Response to “The Misinterpretation of Feminism”

1. Major Dukes on December 12th, 2016 9:33 am

look up Milo Yiannopoulos and Ben Shapiro you’ll love them.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Student run newspaper of Lake Oconee Academy.
The Misinterpretation of Feminism