The Arke

The Line Between Truth and Fiction

Bailey Ballard, Journalist

Facts are found to be true. They can be proved. They are not made up by people or assumed out of observation. They are morally found to be real, not a belief. On the opposite end, fiction is what is imagined and assumed. Fiction is anything that can be proven false. Fiction can not be truth. Truth can not be fiction. This is the belief in society, but then why can no one really draw a line between the two in one certain situation? Is the line really that thick between the two, or is it almost so thin that they become one in the same, at any point?

Opinions are that one situation that can make anyone question the reality of the line between truth and fiction. No one can really say an opinion is the truth or is fiction, false. Opinions are defined as views or judgments formed about something that are not necessarily based on fact or knowledge. One would think that with this definition stating they are not based on fact or knowledge, it would be fiction. This is the idea that comes to mind, is it not? Put it to thought though. Are opinions not true to the people who have them? The opinion that a person has, to them, is fact, is it not? Do people not state often that the opinions they have can not be proven false? If the answers to all these questions are true, then doesn’t that mean opinions are actually truth? With this thought process, opinions that a person has can not be proven wrong; they are not made up or assumed. To that person they are fact, true. On this basis, they should be a part of truth, not fiction. By definition though, they still stand to be fiction; so what are they truly? Are they fiction or nonfiction?

To answer such a question one must form one’s own opinion. As a person, one must choose to say “yes, it is fiction” or “no, it is truth.” Each person will answer differently to the question. There will never be a way to prove the answer to this question, which leads it back to one’s opinions to become the truthful answer. For in that person’s eyes and those who agree with that opinion, the agreed upon answer is the true answer and it can not be proven wrong. For either way one could easily argue to prove the opposition wrong and so it becomes a stand still with no true answer once more and this brings the answer to the question begged before. Is the line between truth or fiction  really that thick or is it almost so thin that they become one in the same at any point?  The answer to this question is that the line between truth and fiction really is quite thin, so thin that at points it can blend. When a question is begged or an opinion is given, the line between the two becomes one, because a person can always have a stance that can prove the opposition to be the fiction like the opposition can prove that person’s answers and opinions to be fiction. This puts a stand still where some answers and all opinions can be fiction or truth, all depending on the way a person portrays it to be and that then proves the line that was set between fiction and truth is truly thin. It is just a line that will always at one point blend.