The Arke

LOA 5th Grade Field Trip

Hadley Snell and Remi Baker

On December 12th through the 15th, the fifth grade students at Lake Oconee Academy took their annual trip to Saint Simons Island. All 5th grade students left early Monday morning at 6:00 am to take their 5 hour trip to Driftwood Educational Center. Students arrived at Driftwood ready to learn. Every day students took a variety of fun and educational classes. In most of these classes, Driftwood incorporated many related games to make the classes fun for the kids.

Driftwood offered several classes including the Cassina Indian class, the Buddy Squad teamwork class, Bird Brains, Ocean Motion, Trackers, and a Shark Dissection. In Cassina class, students learned about the once roaming historic Indians of Saint Simons and Jekyll Island. In Buddy Squad, kids learned the importance of working together to achieve goals. In the Bird Brains class, the students got to see some of the many bird species at Driftwood. In the Ocean Motion class, LOA students learned about different fish, ocean creatures, and plants. Students also experienced a touchpool and got a taste of all the ocean life. The Trackers class taught the students about different trails and tracks to look at to find what you are looking for. The Shark Dissection was a hands on dissection and a great experience for students.

One of the other things the Driftwood trip offered was a day trip to Jekyll Island. In the morning, students hiked to a place called Driftwood Beach. The beach had many big and beautiful driftwood monuments that ran along the coast. After spending some quality time on the beach and seeing many different sea creatures, the students got to experience a type of fishing called seining.  In seining, students used nets to scoop the bottom of the ocean floor for any small creatures, including crabs, minnows, and shrimp. After some games on the beach, the students were exhausted from another great day.

The 5th grade trip to Driftwood Educational Center was a great success that offered many fun classes and skills that the students thoroughly enjoyed. This trip gave the 5th grade students at Lake Oconee Academy memories and important skills that will last a lifetime.

Learn more and explore Driftwood Educational Center at:

http://driftwoodee.org

Ryan McLendon and Jackson Wilson

Ella Strickland and Chloe Manville prepare for the Shark Dissection activity.