The Arke

LOA Students Make 4-H Projects

Thea Smith, 4th grade student

All fourth grade students at Lake Oconee Academy participate in the 4-H Club once a month. 4-H believes in the power of young people. As quoted from their mission statement, “We see that every child has valuable strengths and real influence to improve the world around us. We are America’s largest youth development organization—empowering nearly six million young people across the U.S. with the skills to lead for a lifetime.” During club meetings, students learn by doing, but the ultimate goal is to improve the world around all of us.

Fourth grade students had the opportunity to present a 4-H project in their English Language Arts class. Students were able to choose any topic of interest to them for their project. Some examples of the presentations were McDonald's Mystery Meat, German Shepherds, and even Seahorses! Some students will go on to the District Project Achievement Competition at Rock Eagle in Eatonton, Georgia on Saturday, February 11th. While there, students will be judged on their presentation and public speaking skills. As a reward for competing, all students will get a free one hour pass to go to Rush in Athens, Georgia. Mrs. Beeker, one of the 4th and 5th grade ELA teachers, says that she looks forward to this event every year. “It is an opportunity for students to research something they are interested in. Then they get to share this information with their classmates. It is a great way to infuse writing and public speaking skills into something students want to learn about.”