Student run newspaper of Lake Oconee Academy.

The Arke

Cross Country Runs Into a New Season

Katie Tran, Journalist

Varsity Cross Country kicked off their season in the summer, and now each day after school, the sun shrouds the runners. While the lake weather is a blessing, the heat has also made practice sometimes unbearable; however, the team has grown to cope with the struggles by coming together.

The Varsity team ventured up to Metro Atlanta earlier in the season to run up Stone Mountain. The endless bus ride, unmerciful incline, and desert-like heat all tested the runners on their trip. As a result, the teammates supported each other, talked with one another, and bonded in an unique way. The night ended with Applebee’s, card games, Krispy Kreme donuts, and music blasting on the bus.

At the team’s first meet on September 6, the team was proud to see their hard work pay off as Kendal Clark placed

15th for Varsity Boys. Clark later continued to show his endurance in a later meet, finishing in 12th place. Kendal states, “Winning doesn’t mean coming in first place, as long as you gave it all, then you’re a true winner.”

The Family of runners have taken the team to a whole new level this year. From Chick-fil-a dinners to broken Gatorade bottles, the people have made the experience one to remember. The teammates are always cheering for each other and making positive comments to improve their PR’s and relationships.

“Over the season, we’ve truly bonded. It takes a special connection to go out on a blazing hot day and run miles for a meet or practice. The struggle and desire to be better than we were yesterday definitely brings us together. It’s more of a cross country family than a cross country team.” -Kunj Sukha