Student run newspaper of Lake Oconee Academy.

The Arke

A Cheer-ful Victory

Tori Ellison, Journalist

Just a couple weekends ago, Lake Oconee Academy’s very first high school competitive cheer squad brought home a first place JV division trophy to start off the beginning of their season. After a grueling workout throughout the summer, and determination through the first few weeks of school the Lady Titans put together clean routine to amaze the judges. The meet took place at Morgan County High School, with the JV ladies showcasing at 10:35 am.

From the elites, to the baskets, and every tumble and cheer in between the routine was a success. The elites remained airborne, as they pulled arabesques and and full downs to cradle. Then the cheer was in perfect unison, each jump hitting at the same time. Baskets flew, and spinned like dreidels, and the pyramid, though slightly weak, didn’t fall. Ending with a crazy dance, it was enough to amaze the judges.

I, myself, am a member of the team and in my own personal experience I can say it was heart racing. From the moment the music started we hit the zone, and the only thought was the routine, and what we had to do next. Turn here, drop there, 5-6-7-8, was the only song on repeat.

When the announcer declared LOA to be the first place winner, screams, shouts, hugs, and tears flew all around the squad and the supporting friends and family.

“It was a surreal experience” claims one of the freshmen, Mo Goughnour. “An opportunity and a privilege I wouldn’t trade for the world”.

However this is just the beginning, two weeks following the JV division once again brought home a first place trophy, after the meet that took place in the Centennial Center. Equipped with a refined routine, the Lady Titans surpassed the competition, coming off the mat with yet another first place trophy.