The Arke

Sutherland Springs Church Shooting

Investigators work at the scene of a mass shooting at the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, on Sunday Nov. 5, 2017. A man opened fire inside of the church in the small South Texas community on Sunday, killing more than 20 people.(Jay Janner/Austin American-Statesman via AP)/Austin American-Statesman via AP)

Jay Janner

Mahnoor Sultan, Journalist

A gunman clad in all black, with a ballistic vest strapped to his chest and a military-style rifle in his hands, opened fire on parishioners at a Sunday service at a small Baptist church in rural Texas, killing at least 26 people and turning this tiny town east of San Antonio. The gunman, 26-year-old Devin Patrick Kelley of nearby New Braunfels, killed 26 and injured 20. Kelley, who was shot twice by a local man who heard what was happening at the church and responded, fled and shot himself in the head about 10 miles from the church, officials said.

That same year, Kelley was court-martialed by the Air Force. He was charged with abusing his wife and her son — including a serious head injury to the toddler — between April 2011 and April 2012 and sentenced in November 2012, according to Air Force documents. Because the Air Force does not operate prisons, Kelley served his sentence at a Navy brig in San Diego.

United States President Donald Trump, in Japan at the time of the shooting, said at a press conference in Tokyo that “I think that mental health is a problem here. Based on preliminary reports, this was a very deranged individual with a lot of problems over a very long period of time. We have a lot of mental health problems in our country, as do other countries, but this isn’t a guns situation.” He continued, “Fortunately somebody else had a gun that was shooting in the opposite direction or it would have been much worse”.