The Arke

Beta on my Mind

Katie Tran, Journalist

The National Beta Club is an organization of students across the country who aim to serve others. Students are invited by teachers if they meet the expectations of All A’s (average) and good behavior. The Lake Oconee Academy Beta Club runs the food drive, coat drive, microwave cleanups, blood drive, concession stands and more. The students also participate in Rivers Alive, an annual cleanup around local Lake Oconee.

Every year, the Georgia Beta Club hosts a convention for all students in the GA chapter. This year, it was hosted at the Savannah International Trade and Convention Center, located in one of the most historic cities of the country. Lake Oconee Academy brought 19 students to the convention to participate in events ranging from Mathematics to Spanish to Onsite Art. Academic tests are given according to grade level or division; other competitions are onsite construction of various talents: robotics, poetry, creative writing, colored pencil, advertising and more. In addition, there is a group and special talent category for acts of diverse backgrounds to perform on stage. Many students sing songs, creative dance, play instruments, and create a combination to make one memorable show.

Beta Club is an unique club at Lake Oconee Academy. With service being the top priority, students are given opportunities to show their passion and dedication to the school and community. The convention gathers students of Beta around the state to interact with, compete with, and support each other.